Aloha E Komo Mai! Welcome!
We are a gathering place for information about so-called “smart” meters (now called “advanced” meters) and the “smart grid” (now called “grid modernization”) initiative in Hawaii. (When they change the names you know you are having an impact!) We are smart people and we know this project is not wise!
Smart meter victory for Maui utility customers! To read the article click here.
To learn more about the Notice of Liability action to stop smart meters click here.
To participate in our Notice of Liability action in Hawaii click here.
Watch this short video on Smart Meters: What They Don’t Want You to Know
“Smart” Meter/Grid Facts:
- In Hawaii: Kauai is blanketed with smart meters (over 30,000); Oahu has about ten thousand; Maui has about a hundred smart meters. After our opt-in victory, Hawaiian Electric (HEI) plans to install smart meters on all new accounts, all solar systems and Time of Use (TOU) customers. Digital meters that are easily convertible to smart meters are being blanket installed across the state. If you have an analog meter guard it from removal!
- The testing that was done on Maui Smart Meters, alleging that the meters are safe, was seriously flawed. Click here to learn more.
- The American Academy of Environmental Medicine (AAEM) has called for a moratorium on smart meters based on the documented health hazards of microwave/radio frequency radiation from smart meters. www.AAEMonline.org
- The World Health Organization (WHO) has categorized radio frequency radiation as a Class 2B potential carcinogen (like lead, DDT and car exhaust).
- So far 57 local governments, mostly in California representing almost 4 million people, have passed ordinances that ban smart meter installations or make them illegal in their jurisdictions.
- After lying to the public and being ordered by an administrative law judge to answer specific questions, Pacific Gas & Electric disclosed the average number of radio frequency pulses from their smart meter were about 14,000 a day and the maximum would be over 190,000 pulses a day.
- Smart meters tie into a “smart grid” that dangerously compromises energy security by making the entire power grid vulnerable to hacking and cyber attacks.
- Those with access to smart meter databases can review a permanent history of household activities complete with calendar and time-of-day metrics to gain a highly invasive and detailed view of the lives of the occupants.
- Smart meters are, by definition, surveillance devices which violate Federal and State wiretapping laws by recording and storing databases of private, personal activities and behaviors without the consent or knowledge of those who are monitored. With analysis of certain smart meter data, unauthorized and distant parties may determine medical conditions, physical locations of persons within the home, vacancy patterns, personal information and habits of the occupants.
- Hawaii utility companies have not adequately disclosed their smart meter radio frequency specifications, or the particular recording and transmission capabilities of their smart meters, or the extent of the data that will be recorded, stored and shared, or the purposes to which the data will and will not be put.
Contact Hawaii Officials and Voice Your Concerns! Digital Meters That Are Easily Converted to Smart Meters Are Being Installed Across the State Right Now!
Hawaii Public Utilities Commission: 808-586-2020
Govenor Ige: 808-586-0034